What is Personal Information?
Personal information includes any factual or subjective information, recorded or not, about an identifiable individual. This includes information in any form, such as:
- Age, name, ID numbers, e-mail address, home address, income, or ethnic origin;
- Opinions, evaluations, comments or disciplinary action; and
- Employee files, credit records, loan records, existence of a dispute between a customer and a merchant, intentions (e.g. to acquire goods, services or to change jobs)
Personal information does not include the name, job titles, and business address, telephone or fax number of an employee of an organization or personal information that can be found through publicly available sources
Ten Privacy Principles
To earn your trust, we follow ten privacy principles. The principles are based on the Canadian federal government’s Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (“PIPEDA”).
1. Accountability: We are responsible for the personal information under our control. We have specific people who make sure that we stay compliant with the privacy principles.
Who is responsible for administering our Privacy Protection Policy?
Our Director of Operations is also our Privacy Officer. The Privacy Officer, along with managers in each functional area/department, is responsible for ensuring compliance with federal privacy legislation and with this Privacy Protection Policy. Our Privacy Officer oversees our privacy program, designed to build and maintain trust in our information-handling practices. Protecting the personal information you share with us is vital to our business.
2. Identifying purposes:Prior to collection or use of your personal information, we will inform you of the reasons we are collecting your information and our intended actions in respect of the same.
Why do we collect and use your personal information?
We are committed to providing employees, customers, suppliers and shareholders with quality resources, management services, and reporting. In order to meet our goals, we may collect, use and disclose personal information, when applicable, for the following purposes:
- Processing of employment documentation, including all payroll-related functions;
- Processing of payments to/from suppliers;
- Provision of investor relations services to our shareholders;
- Confirm identification;
- Assess credit worthiness;
- Provide leasing and/or financing services to you; and
- Promote the services and products of Blue Chip and its affiliates.
3. Consent:We need your permission to collect, use, and disclose personal information, with some exceptions.
How do you consent to our collection, use and disclosure of your personal information?
Before collecting any of your personal information for any purpose, we must obtain your informed consent, with some exceptions. The exceptions are determined by law and can include times where legal, medical, or security reasons make it impossible or impractical to seek consent. You may provide us with your informed consent either expressly or impliedly. Depending on the way the personal information is collected, the purposes may be given orally or in writing (electronically being considered a form of writing).
Express consent – You may provide us with your explicit consent to our collection, use and disclosure of your personal information for the purposes we identify for you by communicating your consent in a straightforward, clear and explicit manner, either orally or in writing.
Implied consent – You may also provide us with your implied consent by way of your action or inaction. For example, by providing us with your resume or other documentation, you are impliedly consenting to our review of your resume or such other documentation.
Should you choose not to consent to a general or particular use of your personal information, you may provide us with either a verbal or written statement to this effect for our records and so that we may ensure that we do not use your personal information in this manner. If a verbal statement is provided, it will be noted in writing by our Privacy Officer for our records. Choosing to do so may affect our ability to provide you with certain products or services.
There may be instances where the law permits the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information without your consent, for example, in emergency situations.
You may withdraw your consent to any of our uses of your personal information by giving our Privacy Officer reasonable prior written notice of the same.
Again, withdrawing your consent to certain uses of your personal information may affect our ability to provide you with certain products or continued services.
4. Limiting collection:We collect, use and disclose your personal information only to the extent required to fulfill the purposes for which we collected it.
How much personal information do we collect?
Depending on the product or service, we collect specific personal information about you, including:
- Name, address, contact information, date of birth, social insurance number and financial information. We use social insurance numbers for identification purposes only. We collect these numbers at the option of the customer, they are not required to complete a credit application.
- Information on how you use our products and services, including through our websites and other electronic means.
- Personal information we need to manage our business relationship with you
5. Limiting use, disclosure, and retention: We only use or disclose your personal information for the reasons it’s collected. We use it for other purposes you consent to, or when it is required or allowed by law. We keep the information only for as long as we need to, or as required or allowed by law.
When do we disclose your personal information?
We do not sell information about our customers to others. Your personal information is a vital part of our ongoing business relationship with you. We will only disclose your personal information:
- On a confidential basis, to our agents, brokers, suppliers, funders and service providers, to complete the transactions initiated by you;
- If the personal information forms part of an asset or a business that we sell or assign;
- To protect and enforce the rights and property of Blue Chip;
- To credit rating organizations;
- For fraud prevention or the reduction of the risk of fraud;
- To our affiliates for the purpose of providing you with information relating to products and services that may assist you;
- If the disclosure is required or permitted by law; or
- If you request or consent to the disclosure.
From time to time, we may use service providers in jurisdictions inside or outside Canada for the purposes for which the personal information is collected. They are therefore subject to the laws of those jurisdictions.
When we share personal information with our service providers, they must protect it in ways that are consistent with our privacy policies and practices.
How long do we retain your personal information?
We retain your personal information only for as long as is required to fulfill the purposes for which we collected it, and to meet all of our legal and regulatory requirements. Once your personal information is no longer required, we take proper measures to destroy, erase, or anonymize it in a manner that continues to maintain your privacy.
Legislative requirements may vary between provinces with respect to the information we must keep on file, but we are committed that all personal information that is retained is done so in a secure, confidential manner.
6. Accuracy: Any personal information that we collect, use, or disclose should be as correct, complete, and up-to-date as possible for the reasons it is used.
How do we keep your personal information up-to-date?
We rely on our personal information sources for the accuracy of the information they provide, and we do our best to ensure that the personal information we use on an ongoing basis is accurate, complete and up- to-date. Should you find that the personal information we have about you is out of date or inaccurate, please contact us right away or contact our Privacy Officer.
7. Safeguards:To protect your personal information from intrusion, release, or misuse, we use security safeguards that match the sensitivity level of the information.
How do we protect your personal information?
Blue Chip commits to protecting your personal information from unauthorized access and use. While security and privacy risks can never be eliminated entirely, we take all measures we believe to be reasonably appropriate for the sensitivity of the information in order to safeguard your personal information against unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, modification or misuse.
Personal information is protected:
- Physically, by building security measures and physical barriers
- Organizationally, by our policies, practices, and access levels
- Technologically, by using passwords, firewalls, anti-virus, and encryption
Methods we use to protect your personal information include passwords to protect databases, firewalls in the computer system, restricted access to offices and locked filing cabinets. All personal information is kept secure from alteration, either intentional or accidental. Destruction of personal information is performed in a secure manner; all personal information is destroyed via shredder. Access to your personal information is restricted to those of our employees who need to know the information to fulfill the purposes for which we collected it.
All employees get information protection and privacy training every year. We commit to being open with you about how we handle your personal information.
Independent contractors who work for Blue Chip are required to agree in writing to adhere to our Privacy Protection Policy as well as to our Confidentiality of Information Policy.
8. Openness: We make information about our privacy policies and how we manage your personal information available to you.
9. Individual access: If you send us a request in writing, we tell you what personal information about you we have, and how we use and disclose it. We give you access to the information, with certain exceptions allowed by law. You may verify the accuracy and completeness of your information and request changes, if appropriate.
You have the right to access and verify the personal information we keep in our files. You may also request corrections to information, if appropriate.
Please contact the Privacy Officer at the address below for more information.
10. Challenging Compliance:You are able to challenge our compliance with the privacy principles of the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act.
Contact us if you have any questions or concerns about our privacy policies and practices.
Send a written request to the Privacy Officer at the address listed below if you:
- Have any questions or concerns
- Want more information about who has access to your information
- Want to know more about our privacy policies and practices
- Want to review your personal information in our files
Blue Chip’s Website – Cookies and IP addresses
In addition to the information you expressly provide, your Internet browser automatically transmits some information to Blue Chip every time you visit our site. This type of information is anonymous and cannot be tied back to a specific individual.
The information we receive is your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address and “cookie” information. “Cookies” are small pieces of information that are stored by your browser on your computer’s hard drive.
Our cookies do not contain any personally identifying information, but they do make your visit to our site more convenient and enjoyable.
Most Web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually change your browser to prevent that. You may wish to turn them on if they are disabled, as it will make using the Blue Chip Web site a more enjoyable experience.
Your IP address is the unique, anonymous Internet ID you obtain when you log onto the Internet. It doesn’t contain any personal information.
Blue Chip Leasing Corporation
156 Duncan Mill Road, Suite 156
As e-mail is a less secure medium of communication, please minimize the amount of any personal information you include in any e-mail correspondence to us.